Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

In the spring, when the world begins to wake up and the breezes grow warmer, and the sun spends a little more time in the sky, I will be the first one to start bugging my husband about getting the pool in shape for swimming.  If I could ignore my responsibilities, I'd stay in the pool 24/7 by the time July rolls around.  However.  I can't ignore my responsibilities, because apparently nobody else in my household knows how the dishwasher, washer and dryer, broom, mop and vacuum cleaner work.  Sad, but true.

So it's about this time of year, as I'm flipping through CDs to find some music, that I will suddenly STOP!  The temptation is just too great, and I absolutely MUST listen to a Christmas CD.  Or maybe I'm sitting on my bed folding laundry, I flip through the channels on TV, and suddenly, my remote no longer works!  It has frozen on Disney's "A Christmas Carol", or better yet, "The Polar Express".

Yep, it's right about now, when I know we have several more weeks, probably months, actually, of this nearly unbearable heat to withstand, that I begin longing for the crisp breezes of autumn, followed shortly by short days and long nights in which Christmas lights twinkle happily.  I long for Saturday mornings on the patio with my husband and a cup of coffee -- we tried it last Saturday morning, but the heat quickly chased us back inside.  I long for soup and hot chocolate and gloomy, rainy winter days.

I know those days are coming.  I just have to be patient, and enjoy pool-time in between laundry, dishes and so on.  I know I need to enjoy it, because as soon as it gets too chilly to swim, I'll find myself gazing longingly out at the pool in the back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment